Monday, July 18, 2011

Thing 17 Podcasting

I previewed and subscribed to Grammar Girl, Math Dude and Why? The Science Show for Kids.
  • What did you think? I love Grammar Girl and have been subscribing to her emails for quite some time. Now, I have added her to my RSS feed and I am finding that I prefer that format because it keeps up with the updates. I am new to Math Dude and The Science Show for Kids. I read over a few of the Math Dude's suggestions and I find that some of his suggestions would be better used by a Math teacher. However, I still find the site intriguing as it reminds me of my prior math classes in High School and College. Last but not least, I found The Science Show for Kids to be a useful site to elementary Science teachers. However, as with any kind of curriculum, the materials must be read prior to sharing them with students. One post in particular discussed the Big Bang Theory. That topic makes me nervous as I believe the Creation Theory is best left to parents to teach. However, I understand that the discussion is part of our curriculum and will be covered. My point is that all materials should be previewed prior to sharing.
  • Do you have any ideas about incorporating existing podcasts into your classroom or professional learning? I think a teacher using a podcast for sharing information with parents and students can be a critical element missing from many classrooms. I can see how podcast can even be used as a way to record a teacher's lesson and share that lesson w/ students as a homework tool.
  • If you already use iTunes (or other podcatcher) and/or have an iPod or other MP3 player that you use for podcast listening, please share a bit about your experiences. I do use iTunes Podcast on a weekly basis. Personally, I subscribe to InTouch.org and Lake Pointe Church. I have also used educational podcast to help me learn Spanish and become fluent. Subscribing through iTunes is the easiest way in my opinion to listen to audio podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment