Saturday, September 25, 2010

Thing 4

There are 2 particular blogs that stand out for me.

Mark's EdTech Blog is fabulous reading. His premise is that the usual SSR time can now be differentiated and made new again by turing SSR time into computer reading time. Mark uses educational blogs and student's read what their peers have written. What an awesome idea! I would love to see teachers on my campus take advantage of available classroom blogs to learn and share ideas!

The second blog that I found intriguing is An Open Letter About Cyberbullying.
Kuddos to Andi Carvin! I believe he expresses the heartfelt intent of every teacher to stop bullying - especially cyberbullying. Andi is a social networking expert, and this particular blog is a response to a writer of Wired Magazine. Read it, Read it, Read it! I found this blog to most relevant to me since I deal with kids that do bully. And, having another adult express his concerns gives me the courage to continue standing up for the underdog and doing what is right and in most cases very necessary.

3 comments:

  1. I, too, enjoyed Mark's Edtech Blog about allowing SSR time to include reading blogs. Reading is primary in computer use, and blogging begins with and involves lots of reading, so why not encourage student to peruse blogs during SSR?

    The blog about Cyberbullying is not one I read, but your comments cause me to want to check it out. I took a staff development class on boys' behavior issues, and the presenter said that bullying is the one behavioral issue that professionals do not answer for. What, then shall we do? Aren't there answers somewhere? It's a challenge worth taking on. We can and should, in our little corner of the world, as you say "do what is right," and "continue standing up for the underdog." http://chiggeroo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying this again and referencing the address of the two blogs mentioned above.
    Mark's EDtech Blog about SSR:
    http://www.ahlness.com/2007/02/is-this-ssr-20.html

    The Cyberbullying blog:
    http://www.pbs.org/teachers/learning.now/2007/09/an_open_letter_about_cyberbull.html

    I had hopes of linking these, but at least other readers of these comments will be able to locate the information that may interest them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the Cyberbullying link. It was interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete